A magical journey along the walls of the Tower of David Citadel and into 100 years of film in Jerusalem. Using footage from rare films that document the city, the exhibition revealed the transformations that took place in its urban and human landscape over the past hundred years. The exhibition simultaneously followed developments in the cinematic medium since the invention of silent film as well as the changes in how Jerusalem was perceived by those documenting it from the end of the 19th century.
Footage from well known documentaries was screened alongside amateur films and home movies which received their first public exposure. The films represented seven periods of cinematic documentation in Jerusalem: 1897 to 1917, the 1920s, the 1930s, the 1940s, the war in Jerusalem (1947 to 1949) , the Six Day War and the age of television.
Among the movies screened in the exhibition was the first film ever shot in Jerusalem. It was produced in 1897, shortly after the invention of the first film camera by the Lumière brothers and documented the arrival of the first train in Jerusalem.
Exhibition Curator: Adva Magal